Learn More About Copperhouse Tavern
Originally built in 1768, The Somers Inn began its service as a hotel and restaurant in 1804 as the Kibbe Hotel. Operated by the same family since 1978, the Somers Inn Restaurant ceased to offer lodging but continued to serve the public as a premier restaurant and banquet facility of choice for the northeastern Hartford county.
The Somers Inn, 585 Main Street in Somers, originally opened in 1804 as the Kibbe Hotel (some sources indicate 1768, which may have been an earlier building on the site). It was run by Warren Kibbe and then by George Kibbe. The building started as a Federal-style structure with a hip roof, but it was remodeled around 1860 as a Greek Revival building. In 1931 it became Ye Olde Homestead Inn, run by Alphonse and Hilda Joerg and George and Emily Schiessl. In the early 1960s was renamed The Somers Inn. The historic property, which has not offered lodgings in many years, has been a popular restaurant. It was recently sold and reopened in April as the Copper House Tavern.